What Data We Get
We collect certain data from you directly, like information you enter yourself, data about your participation in courses, and data from third-party platforms you connect with Konnect.
Data You Provide to Us
We may collect different data from or about you depending on how you use the Services. Below are some examples to help you better understand the data we collect.
When you create an account and use the Services including:
- Account Data
- In order to use certain features (like enrolling in a course), you need to create a user account. When you create or update your account, we collect and store the data you provide, like your email address, password, gender, and date of birth, and assign you a unique identifying number (“Account Data”).
- Profile Data
- You can also choose to provide profile information like a photo, headline or other data. Your Profile Data will be publicly viewable by others.
- Shared Content
- Parts of the Services let you interact with other users or share content publicly, including by posting reviews on a course page, asking or answering questions, sending messages instructors, or posting photos or other work you upload. Such shared content may be publicly viewable by others depending on where it is posted.
- Course Data
- When you enroll in and take courses, we collect certain data including which courses, assignments and quizzes you’ve started and completed; your exchanges with instructors, teaching assistants, and other students; and essays, answers to questions, and other items submitted to satisfy course requirements.
- Communications and Support
Data We Collect Through Automated Means
When you access the Services (including browsing courses), we collect certain data by automated means, including:
- System Data
- Technical data about your computer or device, like your IP address, device type, operating system type and version, unique device identifiers, browser, browser language, domain and other systems data, and platform types (“System Data”).
- Usage Data
- Usage statistics about your interactions with the Services, including courses accessed, time spent on pages or the Service, pages visited, features used, your search queries, click data, date and time, and other data regarding your use of the Services (“Usage Data”).
How We Get Data About You
Konnect uses the following types of cookies:
- Cookies used to enable you to log in and access the Services; protect against fraudulent logins; and help detect and prevent abuse or unauthorized use of your account.
- Session State
- Cookies that track your interactions with the Services to help us improve the Services and your browsing experience, remember your login details. These are strictly necessary for the Services to work properly, so if you disable them then certain functionalities will break or be unavailable.
What We Use Your Data For
We use your data to do things like provide our Services, communicate with you, troubleshoot issues, secure against fraud and abuse, improve and update our Services, analyze how people use our Services, and as required by law or necessary for safety and integrity.
We use the data we collect through your use of the Services to:
- Provide and administer the Services, including to display customized content and facilitate communication with other users;
- Process your requests courses, specific services, information, or features;
Communicate with you about your account by:
- Responding to your questions and concerns;
- Sending you administrative messages and information, including messages from instructors, notifications about changes to our Service, and updates to our agreements;
- Sending you information and in-app messages about your progress in courses, newsletters, and other available courses (which you can opt out of at any time);
- Manage your account preferences;
- Facilitate the Services’ technical functioning, including troubleshooting and resolving issues, securing the Services, and preventing fraud and abuse;
- Solicit feedback from users;
- Identify unique users across devices;
- Improve our Services and develop new products, services, and features;
- Analyze trends and traffic, and track usage data;
- As required or permitted by law; or
- As we, in our sole discretion, otherwise determine to be necessary to ensure the safety or integrity of our users, employees, the public, or our Services.
Who We Share Your Data With
We share certain data about you with instructors, other students. We may also share your data as needed for security, legal compliance. Lastly, we can share data in other ways if it is aggregated or de-identified or if we get your consent.
- With Your Instructors
- We share data that we have about you (except your email address) with instructors for courses you enroll in or request information about, so they can improve their courses for you and other students. This data may include things like your city, country, and your activities on Konnect. If we collect additional data about you (like age or gender), we may share that too. We will not share your email address with instructors.
- With Other Students and Instructors
- Your shared content and profile data may be publicly viewable, including to other students and instructors. If you ask a question to an instructor, your information (including your name) may also be publicly viewable.
- For Security and Legal Compliance
- We may disclose your data to third parties if we (in our sole discretion) have a good faith belief that the disclosure is:
- Permitted or required by law;
- Requested as part of a judicial, governmental, or legal inquiry, order, or proceeding;
- Reasonably necessary as part of a valid subpoena, warrant, or other legally-valid request;
- Required to detect, prevent, or address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule or regulation), or security or technical issues; or
- Reasonably necessary in our discretion to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property, or safety of Konnect, our users, employees, members of the public, or our Services.
- During a Change in Control
- If Konnect undergoes a business transaction like a merger, acquisition, corporate divestiture, or dissolution (including bankruptcy), or a sale of all or some of its assets, we may share, disclose, or transfer all of your data to the successor organization during such transition or in contemplation of a transition (including during due diligence).
- After Aggregation/De-identification
- We can disclose or use aggregate or de-identified data for any purpose.
- With Your Permission
Konnect takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal data that we collect and store. These measures vary based on the type and sensitivity of the data. Unfortunately, however, no system can be 100% secured, so we cannot guarantee that communications between you and Konnect, the Services, or any information provided to us in connection with the data we collect through the Services will be free from unauthorized access by third parties. Your password is an important part of our security system, and it is your responsibility to protect it. You should not share your password with any third party, and if you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should change it immediately and contact our Support Team with any concerns.
You have certain rights around the use of your data, you can update or terminate your account from within our Services, and can also contact us for individual rights requests about your personal data. Parents who believe we’ve unintentionally collected personal data about their underage child should contact us for help deleting that information.
You can access and update your personal data that Konnect collects and maintains as follows:
- To update data you provide directly, log into your account and update your account at any time.
- To terminate your account: If you are a student or an instructor contact our Support Team.
Our Policy Concerning Children
We recognize the privacy interests of children and encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. We recognise that some courses may be offered to children under the age of 13 but would be done so under the guidance of both the parents or guardian in conjunction with the instructor ensuring that as limited amount of information is entered for the student. If we learn that we’ve collected personal data from a child under those ages without the permission of the parent or guardian, we will take reasonable steps to delete it.
Parents who believe that Konnect may have collected personal data from a child under those ages can submit a request that it be removed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files stored by your browser as you browse the internet. They can be used to collect, store, and share data about your activities across websites, including on Konnect. Cookies also allow us to remember things about your visits to Konnect, like your preferred language, and to make the site easier to use.
We use both session cookies, which expire after a short time or when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which remain stored in your browser for a set period of time. We use session cookies to identify you during a single browsing session, like when you log into Konnect. We use persistent cookies where we need to identify you over a longer period, like when you request that we keep you signed in.
- enable, facilitate and streamline the functioning of and your access to Konnect website;
- track traffic flow and patterns of travel in connection with the Konnect website;
- understand the total number of visitors to our Website on an ongoing basis and the types of internet browsers (e.g. Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer) and operating systems (e.g. Windows or Mac OS) used by our visitors;
- monitor the performance of the Konnect website and continually improve it;
- customize and enhance your online experience.
What are my privacy options?
- Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can change your browser settings to decline cookies by consulting your browser’s support articles. If you decide to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some interactive features in the Services.
- For general information about targeting cookies and how to disable them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org
Cookies that have been set in the past
If you have disabled one or more Cookies, we may still use information collected from cookies prior to your disabled preference being set, however, we will stop using the disabled cookie to collect any further information.
If you have any questions or comments about this cookies policy, or privacy matters generally, please contact us via email at email@example.com.